Monday, May 01, 2006

Greenbrier River Race





Saturday, May 29. What a day for a race! Clear skies and around 70 degrees. Ryan and I loaded up the 4-Runner and drove to Marlington VA for the Greenbrier River Race. The triathlon consists of a 3 mile run, 4 mile kayak, and 10 mile bike. The run and bike were along the Greenbrier River Trail, www.greenbrierrivertrail.com . 20 years ago the town was devastated by a flood and some locals decided to put on a family fun fundraiser to help the town get back on its feet.



We arrived in Marlington around 8 Sat. morning, picked up our race packets and unloaded the gear. The only problem with doing a tri with a kayak is figuring out where to put the kayak and bikes. We managed to carry 3 people, 2 bikes, and 2 kayaks. We drew straws to see who was going to sit in the kayaks on top of the 4-Runner. They make great seats for extra passengers!




I rode the bike route the day before and learned that 4 of the 10 miles were paved. This race was advertised as "offroad." I guess it was since no vehicles were allowed to travel on the paved trail. Anyway, 6 of the 10 miles were hardpacked gravel. So I opted to use my road bike and aero bars. This had to be the flattest 10 miles in WV. I am from South GA and the roads aren't this flat. There were no roots, big rocks, washouts, climbs, ditches, creek crossing or any other of the niceties you find on a singletrack.



Ryan, a highschool senior and member of my youth group, runs a sub 18 5k. I hate him almost as bad as I hate running. Running is pure agony for me and I don't know why I even do these things. But I figured it had to be better than running 6 miles last week.



The race starts and I keep up with the fast ones for about 100 yards. After that, I was ready to quit. Ryan finished 3rd on the run and the first runner finished with a sub 16 3miler. I was pleased with my 24 min. I knew if I could ever make it to the bike I could make up some time against all those fat knobby tires. But then again, there is only so much you can do in 10 miles.

Jumped into the kayak and off for 4 miles downstream. One thing I learned is that the longer sleaker kayaks are faster. I paddled as hard as I could in my little 9 ft Swifty and wasn't going anywhere. Then I realized I was on a sandbar. Not really, but it felt that way. If I would have had the 14ft kayak I used last week I would have knocked off at least 5 min. After 48 min. the kayak was over, but then I still had to run 1/4 mile to the bike. Have I mentioned I hate running. Helmet and shoes on and I am finally off.

Immediately, I started passing Mtbikers every 1/2 mile. Even on the gravel, my tiny slicks seemed to glide on top. After 6 miles I hit the pavement and my forearms began to cramp. All I could do is keep the hands locked on the bars and pedal. I passed at least 20 riders before approaching the finish. Took a 90 degree turn to the left and headed for the finish line 200 yards away. I saw a Mtb about 50 yards ahead of me and I thought this might be the only sprint I will ever win. So I cranked it as hard as I could, lunged at the line and beat the guy out by about a bike length. He never saw it coming. Who cares if he was on a full suspension, 40 lb Walmart bike. For that moment, I felt like Petachi, Zabel, or McEwan. And where was my photography to capture the once in a lifetime finish, kissing her boyfriend Ryan.

Just crossed the finish, about to puke and some lady runs up to me and starts tugging at my butt. She informed me that she had to get my #. I got excited for a minute and gave it too her and then she said, "No, I need your race #." Oh well!

I am not sure of all the final results but Ryan and I finished just a couple of minutes off 3rd place. He finished about a minute ahead of me. Ok you finished after me so you have to ride in the kayak home. Losing is tough!

No comments: