Wednesday, May 16, 2007

March of Dimes Run/Ride


March of Dimes Walk
Sunday May 6th 2007


Seth and I felt like pros this weekend. We did a tri in Lexington on Saturday then the March of Dimes Run/Ride or walk Sunday. It was as close to a weekend of racing that I have been able to do. I asked Seth if he was up for a 5.5 mile bike ride. The route left Clifton Middle School to Alleghany High School and back. About as flat of a course as one can find around here. He said he was up for another race so off we went. We started in the back of the pack. It was a mad dash to the first turn. There were baby strollers, walkers, and noodlers creating havoc so we had to pic our lines carefully. I was running and Seth on his Lightning Blue crit bike. We made our way to the front of the pack by the first turn and he put the hammer down. I did all I could do to keep up.

We passed about a dozen high school students with one other guy in the lead. We made it to the turnaround in 2nd place. Well that is where we lost some time. See I forget that a little boy likes to ride through puddles and the parking lot was full of them. "Daddy, can I ride through the puddles?" No, I answered, the baby strollers are about to catch us. Of course I let him ride through the puddles--for about 10 minutes while I chilled and drank some water. Once he was done, off we went to the finish. Total time about 55 min. with a 10 min. break. Not too bad. And all for a good cause!

the course



Post race was funny. He went around telling everyone he did the entire course while drinking his gatoraide. There was another kid that looked to be about 7 on a bike with training wheels that kept teasing Seth for wearing a helmet and demonstrating all these cool tricks, ie-ride with one hand, turn circles slowly, and other tough trial manuvers. Seth responded, "Yeah, but you still have training wheels!" At a boy! Good comback.




one of my youth, kara, and her friend.




No comments: