Monday, April 07, 2008

Vail: Day 1 Snowboard Carving


I have recently taken up snowboarding and love it. One style of boarding is "carving." Check out this link bomberonline to get an idea of what I am talking about. I can't carve like these guys but enjoy learning. By buddy dave has carving board setup and is a good carver, in more ways than one. Here is a pic of a guy carving.




I use to slalom water ski and would compare the leaning and edging to be similar. The runs in Vail are so wide that a carver can really let it out. When riding on the edges of your board, it is like cutting through the snow and speed is maximized. If you were to look at it from the air, the lines would be in an "S" like pattern. So imagine two guys carving in the opposite direction only to collide at the center center of the S or 8. Boards angled about 55 degrees upward. BAM! Dave and I collided. Both of us going about 20mph. We flipped, rolled, and slid. Thank goodness for helmets. The front corner of his board met my shin. Edges can be sharp as a knife. Yeah, the collision hurt but nothing broken or damaged. Well, I did have a cut in my pants from his board. It felt like someone hit my shin with a baseball bat. All was good so we continued boarding for several hrs. I later noticed a little blood on my pants but nothing in the amount to make me stop and look. Actually, I am glad I didn't look at the time.

We get back to the condo and I began to shed the layers. My base layer and sock was cut showing a little blood. Then it was revealed. HOLY CRAP! Thats a huge gash. I couldn't believe it. So off to the ER for some work.



Ok, I HATE needles. I don't mind blood but HATE needles. I knew what was going to have to be done. So she begins to stick me and asked, "let me know the pain level you are feeling," referring to the 1-10 chart below


It didn't take long to reach a 9. Trying to not think about it, I was trying to text people and take photos during the ordeal. Thanks to my friends, I got through it.


Well, its about 7 here and time to get ready to hit the slopes. More updates later

2 comments:

Jen said...

OW!!!!!! Dude you gotta get some shin guards... I don't know do skiers wear those? Poor shin...

More pictures of Vail please. I can see blood and gore at work!

Jen

Harold said...

Wow, that was some gash! Good thing you are so tough!