Sunday, May 18, 2008

Bedford Mtb race

This was my first Mtb race of the year. I have maybe been on the bike 15 x's this year and was in no race shape. But what the heck, I race because its fun, not to win. Plus, I love introducing others to the sport. Greg Bartocci and my son Seth participated in the race. It was a beautiful day for the race.


I'm really not that good at singletrack. The course is tight, twisty and rolling. My technical skills needs lots of work. I prefer long uphill grinds! Anyway, I wanted to hit the woods in the top 10 position. I hate getting bogged down in the field and like to try to follow faster riders and learn from them. The course starts at the bottom of a grassy field and has about a 1/3 mile climb to the woods. The horn sounded and the riders took off. The pace was not as fast as I thought it would be. I figured all would be sprinting to the woods. I got in a good cadence and found myself working bast the 12-15 riders into 2nd hitting the woods. Oh, if only I could hold it. Switchbacks, downhill, uphills, I found myself losing the wheel of the guy in front and having to let riders through. I guess I fell back to about 10th when things thinned out and hit some flatter sections.


Then there was the BIG log. There was 3 guys on my rear and the one right behind me shouting, "I'm going over." I responded, "Me too!" Then bam. Oh yeah, I went over. Endoed! That log was a little taller and steeper than I thought. I didn't pull up enough on the bars. Lost 3 places and Greg came around too. Chris Clark quickly caught up and we had about 5 riders grouped together for the first lap.


Finished the first lap 7.5 miles, and I feel strong. We hit the field and started climbing again. I knew this was a chance to get a good gap. I tapped Chris on the rear and said, "let's go." Took off and climbed hard. I hit the woods with about a minute on the NC Cricket guys. Chris was out of juice. I road the 2nd lap a little better. And then there was that big log again. EEEKk. I didn't make it again! I still had about 20 secs on the NC guys. They were much better technical riders so I hoped to gain time on the short, steep climbs. I hit them hard every chance and continued to get a gap only to be caught in the flats.


I had about 30 secs on them and hit a slight up river grade that is non-technical and straight. I pushed it as hard as I could and gained some more time. The last section before hitting the open field is tough. Lots of roots, rocks, and trees to knock me down. 2 other riders were coming in view giving me a rabbit to chase. I caught a guy just as we entered the field and attacked hard. Looking back, I didn't see the NC guys or the one I just passed trying to hang. Hit the final uphill section hard, came back out to the field and no one was with me. So I coasted into the finish, 5th place in sport 36-49. I was pleased with that. I haven't ridden much and have difficulty with the technical stuff.



Frank putting a little WD40 on his chain. For security reasons, I can not show his face!






Ron in his usual goofy self.




The proper equipment. Pink water bottle cages.

With painted pink toes to match!
Hey, not my toes. Their hers!




Seth excited to be there
what the heck is he doing?Ah, a clean bike is a faster bike. I might could learn a few things:)
man, i think he takes this stuff too seriously. He had the same look at the Greenbrier Triathlon.Crossing the finish in 2nd place!Ah the prizes!

Ok now for the big kids.

The RCO gang had some great results and brought home lots of swag.
Skeetz - 2nd place Single Speed
Yenski - 1st Expert 36-49
Pookie - 1st Singlespeed Women
Jen - 1st Sport Women
18-35Adam - 1st Clydesdale
Some had to result to stealing the swag. Jen, what are you doing? Get out of there.

Nah, she won but looks guilty:)
Warren and Gordon fight it out over a pair of gloves.

Hey Jen, I'm taking a picture here.



1 comment:

Jen said...

Dood, I look FAT!!!! BAH!!!! I'm off to do some more ab work...

:-)