Sunday, September 24, 2006

Falling Creek Park VaD race #4

VaD Race #4
Bedford, VA
Saturday, September 23, 2006


Another day of racing. This is the 4th race of the VaDerailer Series. It is amazing how every course is different. After Lynchburg, I thought I had improved my technical skills enough not to be beaten up by a course. Danville really kicked my butt. Although Bedford was equally difficult, it was completely different. There were several off camber switchbacks. There were several very steep short sections that would catch you by surprise. For us geared folks, the wrong gear meant lots of horrible noise from the drivetrain and pushing a bike uphill. For a detailed description of the course see Warren Schimizzi's post. I think he remembered every root, log hop, and switchback there was. Well I guess after you make 4 laps around it, you tend to remember those things.

I have yet to develop the "skills" needed to successfully ride a course like this. Skippy demonstrated some fine-tuned skills before the race, thanks skip.
.
I knew that I was going to have difficulty on the course as soon as Warren responded to my question about the course. Warren started salivating from the mouth as he described the course. He loves this type of course. He's not all right. Something has to be wrong with him. He knows they make gears for bikes yet he chooses to ride a single speed.


I viewed the series standings and saw that am 5th overall in the Sport 36-49 class. Not too bad for a newbie. Last race teammate Chip Camper passed me and I tried to stay with him as long as I could. He finished 4th in that race and about 3 minutes ahead. He is 2nd overall in the points standings. So my goal this was was to try to stay with Chip again. I liked the way they started the race. Enough of a ride to spread out the group. Even at that, those first few switchbacks and slick uphill section created havoc for all these testosterone filled guys. Paula and the biker chics have got it right. Don't waste energy fighting that stuff, just let them go and catch them later

.

The first lap was a little crazy and I felt slow. We get in this section with logs. There were logs like every 30 feet. I am ok with logs if I have the speed to hop them. They were like speedbumps for me. I almost came to a stop on some of them losing valuable inertia and time. And then there was that 10 ft high log. Ok, maybe it wasn't 10 feet. There was no one in front of me showing me if it was ridable. So, I hopped off only to watch the kid behind me easily ride over it. Well, I did make it the next 3 laps. Then there was a twisty uphill section with a tight, uphill right hand turn.

It looked undoable for me. At that time fellow teammate Chris Clark was on my wheel so I hopped off to let him by. Bam, he rolled right over through that section. Way to go Chris! He inspired me to make it on the next 3 laps.


.
There were sections through some fields that gave much needed relief. There was even a section along the creek that was almost flat and wide. But my tires felt like they had 10 lbs of pressure. I could not ever get those tires to turn over. I felt like the course was riding me as opposed to me riding the course. That first lap was horrible. And I thought, "I have 3 more to go." The next 3 did go by a little better. I didn't get faster but handled the course a little better. I normally don't unclick around switchbacks but I tried unclipping the inside foot, lock the rear brakes and sliding around. Really cool, I did that a couple of times. Well except for the one time.
Flashback to highschool. I am cruising along in my 65 Mustang convertible. I'll have a post about my car sometime, I still have it. Being cool as only I can be. I am making a right hand turn when some hot babes yell out my name. I glanced over my shoulder to check it out and ran all over the curb. Luckily I didn't hit anything or cause damage.

Back to the race. I get ready to hit that 2nd switchback and I hear a females voice call out my name. I'm a single guy, what do you think I did. The same thing I did 20 years ago! I GLANCED. My weight was not distributed correctly and I nearly skidded right through the switchback. It was Paula. She is so cruel. I could hear hear laughing hysterically as I tried to get back on the trail and mount my bike. Well, she didn't really laugh hysterically. She did say, "sorry" and on the next lap waited for me to get around the switchback until she said something--thanks.


Another goal of mine was not to let the expert class lap me. I even had my crowbar with me just in case they tried to go by. Maybe that is why I was slow, those things weight 12 lbs. About half-way through the final lap, the first expert guy flew by. It wasn't teammate Ron or Todd, what's up with that, I wondered. Then a few minutes later another expert came around. Those guys were flying. A few more minutes went by and I heard a voice, "A little help." It was Todd and he had some distance to make up. Todd finished 3rd for the day. I was glad to see the grassy field meaning the finish was about .5 miles away. As I turned up the final climb, I heard a rider behind me. Skippy was about to lap me at the finish. I held him off only by a few seconds. Man those guys can fly.


Had a great day and always enjoy racing.

Team ElToreo had excellent results.
I think almost all the racers placed! Way to go.

Post-race ride home. I am a huge UGA, University of GA, fan. Since the early 80's, I have been traveling to Athens and all over the SEC watching the dawgs play. Since I don't get a radio broadcast of their games in VA, I called the home for play by play updates. It wasn't good. They are playing unranked Colorado and are getting beat 13-0 in the 3rd quarter. Also, what was up with the drivers on the way home? There was more carnage on the roadside than the trails. There were wrecks everywhere. I reach Fincastle and head on 220 North towards Covington. The game made the drive home a little quicker. Dawgs on Colorado's 2o yard. . .down by 6. . . 1 minute left. . .redshirt freshman Cox drops back to pass. . .throws it deep in the endzones to tightend Milner. . .TOUCHDOWN. . .extra point good. . .Dawgs win. Sweet.


Then there was the wreck on 220. Not me but about 10 minutes in front. The wreck happened on North 220 about 3 miles before 220 turns to single lane. I was one of the first cars to be stopped. A helicopter flew in and took on of the injured to the hospital. I had been there for 45 minutes and a EMT guy said they were still getting another person out and it will probably be another 30-60 minutes. I looked back and traffic was backed up for miles. About that time a young lady pulled up and said, "Would you like me to show you how to get around this?" "You bet," I replied. I hopped in the car and began to follow. Several others followed in line too. We made so many turns I couldn't remember how to do it again. The road turned into a tight, gravel road where two cars would have difficulty passing. All of sudden I thought, "What have I done?" This could be a psycho killer. She could stop the car at any point and kill us all. There was no where to go. We were at her mercy. My fears subsided as the dark woods opened up and I saw 220 North, just beyond the accident. Wow. That experience stimulated my reverend skills. My mind is always linking life and the Christian faith. Many times in a "cheesy" way but often in real lessons that can be applied in life. Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life" (John 14:6). All of our lives involves crashes, roadblocks and times of hopelessness. When we follow the Way, we will safely be lead through these obstacles of life. .

.

Here are some pics from the race. Feel free to copy.

















No comments: