Sunday, September 10, 2006

Remember the Sabbath? VaD #3 Lynchburg


RockYou slideshow | |



Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy is the the fourth commandment. What does the 4th commandment have to do with Mtb? Well, the 3rd race of the VaD series was held on Sunday and in Jerry Falwell country, Lynchburg. Since a preacher works on Sunday, how does a preacher remember the Sabbath? Well, historically, the Sabbath started with sunset on Friday evening and continued through sunset Saturday, but this isn't about Sabbath traditions so I'll try not to linger. I greatly enjoy what I do, being an ordained United Methodist minister and riding bikes. I also enjoy other endurance sports, hiking, and well most any athletic, thrill-seeking activity. I have even made 4 solo jumps out of a perfectly good airplane, without being pushed. But that is another blog for another time. I am still trying to catch up on my race reports.

So why the prelude? Well, for me being a minister is much more than simply preaching on Sunday mornings or carrying out typical pastoral duties. It's a lifestyle. A lifestyle of being a witness to others along my life path. For whatever reason, I am wired for the outdoors and athletic activities. Unfortunately, by VO2 and legs were wired for something less strenuous. As much as I would love to race the expert class and finish before some of the sport class, it probably just aint going to happen. But that is OK, well except for when I am passed by a girl, especially Paula. Paula shouted at the guys this past Sunday, "come on guys...you don't want to get passed by a girl...do you?" http://bikerchickypookie.blogspot.com/ Yeah, no guy likes to be passed by a girl. I am still feeling the pain. Just kidden Paula.

I am still rambling. No wonder I am slow to get these race reports out. Maybe because I didn't preach Sunday and I am writing my sermon. Or maybe its about LIVING the sermon. Sports has always been an avenue for me into the lives of others who may not enter the doors of a church or ever take time to get to know a preacher. The first person I led a person to Christ as an ordained minister did not occur in the walls of a church after my eloquet preaching. It occurred on the floor of a sweaty dojo after karate practice. I was about to carry out my 5 finger death touch (a little Kill Bill 2 humor) upon this kid and I screamed, "REPENT OR DIE!" No, it really didn't happen that way but the kid did come to know Christ that night.

I guess I am getting to the point of legacy, leaving a legacy. What good is it if I can lap the field if I don't introduce this great sport to others. The apostle Paul spoke "I can have faith to move mountains and knowledge to fathom all mysteries, but have not love, I am nothing" (1 Corinthians 13). When we do not share the passions and dreams of our lives with others, those things will die. There were 3, well 4 counting Seth, new cyclists being introduced to the sport of Mountain Biking this Sunday. I was so pumped to see these guys ride hard, get medals and chat about the race afterwards. Pics and details below. Helping Seth around that wet, grassy field to cross the finish line is what it is all about. Was he the first, nope, he was beat by a girl! But seeing the joy of victory in his eyes when he finished and received his medal makes my race great no matter what my results. He didn't think he could finish that day. He kept saying, "daddy my legs hurt, I can't push any harder." I quickly affirmed him that suffering is a part of cycling and to "suck it up and don't let that girl beat you." Not really, but I did offer words of encouragement and helped balance and support him to see the finish. Kinda like the Heavenly Father does us when we get stuck in life.


I did race that day and George Foreman, although present, did not knock me out this time. I had practiced my bobbing and weaving. I also paid the race starter 20 bucks to start the woman 10 minutes behind my group to assure that I wouldn't be passed by a girl. The last race I started out to hard. This one I road within my abilities and had a much better race. Finished 6th out of 15 in my class with a time of 1:53:37. Personally, I thought they should have started the sport age divisions in intervals too. We had about 50 to get bottlenecked in that first section. I only fell once and had to get off the bike two other times. Timed it perfect, just luck, near the pavement section on both laps. A guy passed with about 1 mile to go before the pavement and I hung on his wheel such to benefit a little from the draft. As soon as we hit the pavement, a young kid darted in front and lead us two all the way to the field. That was nice.

I started passing folks during the second lap and had one guy that passed me with about 1 mile before the pavement. So I held on again until the pavement. He took the lead and I happily sat on. This guy looked strong and he was certainly bigger than I so I figured I couldn't wait till the end and attack. I would have to catch him off guard and go early. The pace was kinda slow, his chain in the middle ring, and he wasn't looking for me to go. As soon as we hit the starting line, I attacked as hard as I could for about 100-150 yards. I looked back and realized I must have caught him by total surprise because he was about 6-7 seconds back. I got the gap I wanted but wasn't sure if I could hold it. My legs were killing me and my lungs gasping for air. He was closing the gap. I put in another 15 sec surge. Man did I think I made a mistake. Did I go out too soon? Where is that darn finish? That final turn was never going to come. Then I could see the curve opening up to view the soccer field. The view of the finish and people cheering gave me that extra strength to surge one more time and keep a 3 sec gap to the finish. Sweet, that was fun.

Well that's my race report straight from the Pulpit! Cheers.

Here are a few pics. Feel free to copy and paste














Warren 2nd place single speed.
















Seth getting his medal





































The biker chicks really do rock!

























Paula bring home the gold!




















Greg 2nd place Sport 14-17

his second race. Way to go Greg

























Ron 2nd Expert 36-49




















Ryan Peters 1st Place Novice 14-17. His first race. Sweet!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Hey Rev - great post. Congrats to Seth and also to your young friends on placing in their 1st and 2nd races. Great job - looks like they have a great mentor in you as well. See you again soon.

Paula said...

Super post Rev!...that's a great shot of you & Seth. I'm so happy your crew had a great experience at the race. It's all about having fun & the fellowship w/ others!