Sunday, June 18, 2006

SUNDAYS WITH REV "Blood, Sweet and Chainrings"

June 11, 2006
Blood, Sweet and Chainrings
.
.

"Missed Church, No Problem.

Sundays with Rev!

Hymn singing, fellowship, prayer, and a sermon.

All on the best Mtb trails in the country."
..
.
.


Another Sunday with Rev. Ryan, Greg, a newcomber and I headed out to Douthat. Up Beards Gap, Locust Gap, Laurel View, Campground, to Ross Camp trail. We were tackling Mountain Top today. I haven't done Mountain Top and I heard it is rather steep. I took the lead at the intersection of Mountain Side and Mountain Top. Yeah, it was steep and difficult. I had to get off the bike twice and push it about 100 feet. I am horrible at downhill switchbacks. Ryan is even worse. On the last switchback before we reach the Mountain Side/Top intersection. I didn't see it happen and still don't know how it happened. It was a switchback to the left. He tried to clip out of the right foot and BAM. Hi slipped and caught his inner right thigh on the outer chainring! It was nasty, blood gushing everwhere. I thought he might have hit an artery but thank goodness that wasn't the case. Ok, we are at the top. The intersection of Middle, Top, and Buck Hollow. We took the shortest route, Buck. Made it to the Ranger station and got some first aid. I thought he needed to go to the ER again and get stitches. Well, he went on home and cleaned it some more. The next day he was heading to the Florida beaches. Salt water and open wounds! He did go to the ER in Florida but it was too late to close it up so they gave him some antibiotics. His mom doesn't let him ride with me anymore. Just joking. But his dad did threaten to put training wheels on his bike.

No comments: