Sunday, June 18, 2006

SUNDAYS WITH REV "Watch This"

June 4th, 2006
Watch This




"Missed Church,
No Problem.
Sundays with Rev!
Hymn singing, fellowship, prayer, and a sermon.
All on the best Mtb trails in the country."

..
.
.
.

Do you know what the last 2 words of a redneck is? WATCH THIS! Well, I think I spent more time in the ER than on the trail today. The boys and I had another Sunday with Rev at Douthat. I finished preaching at the Alleghany High Baccalaureate service and headed to the trails. Ryan was feeling really froggy today since he is graduating. He is usually reserved on the bike but not today. We headed out on Beards Gap to Locust Gap to Laurel View to Campground B?. Laurel View is a fun little downhill section. There are about 3 small jumps just before a 90 degree turn left. Ryan was flying down this section and getting some air. I am right behind him and wanted to short the cartoon line, "watch out for the tree!" But it was too late. He never had a chance to make the turn. All I could see is a body do an endo in this brushy tree. Then bike followed on top. No major damage done and he hopped up and started to ride again. We went another .5 miles to the slight creek crossing or wet area just before the campgrounds. Its fast and you have to veer right into the dip then back up. The trail looks like it could go left so we inspected it for anything that might cause damage. Cleared out a few logs and figured that we could use this root to spring us over the wet bottom. That way we could maintain our speed through that section. Well there is a huge rock, about 2 x 3, separated the right and left side of the trail. Ryan said, "I could launch off the rock." Greg and I thought he was joking. He went back on the trail a little clipped in and yelled, "watch this!" Too bad I didn't have my video camera. Talk about a "jackass" moment. He hit this rock going about 15-20 mph and it launched him. He and the bike flew about 20 feet, nose down into the bog. He hopped up with a big grin on his face and said, "I think I broke something." I looked at the bike and nothing looked broke. However, his left hand looked bad. Right on the palm below the thumb it looked like bone popping up. Needless to say, our ride was ended and we went to the ER. And of all the days, I was hosting the senior party at pizza hut. After several hrs in the ER, X-Rays showed nothing broke. He was back riding after a couple of days in a wrist wrap. I have seen and have had lots of accidents but I thought for sure that it was broke. My hats off to Ryan, he never wimpered. More about that on the next ride.

No comments: